Where I share my inspirations, new work announcements and whatever else I find interesting. To view my artwork or read any of my performance reviews please see the link to my homepage in the sidebar. Offended by occasional male nudity or awesome homoerotic art content? This is not the place for you.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Placido Domingo

Placido Domingo - Edgardo, Lucia di Lammermoor

The grand old man and a major guiding force of opera today turns 72.  In a career spanning over 50 years and a repertoire encompassing over 140 roles, Placido Domingo has been a strong influence of opera into the new millennium and beyond.

I've admired Domingo for many years, in many roles.  The one that I will forever identify as being his signature role however, would have to be Verdi's Otello.  I saw the Zeffirelli movie at the cinema in it's first release and was profoundly moved by his interpretation of the Moor of Venice.

Here are the final moments of a Met. performance from 1996, in the beautiful Elijah Moshinsky production.  His voice is remarkable in it's timbre, no to mention those gloriously burnished top notes.  It's a fitting tribute to a brilliant career, happy birthday Placido Domingo.


                        


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...