Where I share my inspirations, new work announcements and whatever else I find interesting. To view my artwork or read any of my performance reviews please see the link to my homepage in the sidebar. Offended by occasional male nudity or awesome homoerotic art content? This is not the place for you.

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Marilyn Zschau


Growing up where I did, in what was at the time semi-rural Western Australia in the 80's, I was dependent on the ABC for my source of opera and fine music.  Back then I eagerly awaited the direct broadcasts from Opera Australia which expanded my horizons and introduced me to singers and operas I was only just becoming familiar with.  

One singer who really stood out for me was Marilyn Zschau.  I'd seen her already as Musetta in a broadcast of the Covent Garden, John Copley produced La Boheme with Ileana Cotrubas and Neil Shicoff which I loved, but really took notice in a radio broadcast of Richard Strauss' Salome.  

Though I no longer own a copy (I taped it off the radio) I remember to this day the impact she had in the final scene, but mostly the sensual/sexual quality Zschau gave to Salome.  A revelation to someone who'd only ever heard the Nilsson recording. 

She performed regularly in Australia and was very popular.  I remember an Elektra for the State Opera of South Australia in the early 90's which was simulcast, in which she played the title role, a role which suits her perfectly.

Here is a clip of a concert performance from the BBC Proms at the Royal Albert Hall in 1993, Marilyn Zschau in spectacular voice as Strauss' tormented heroine.  Happy Birthday for yesterday Marilyn. 

                        


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...