Where I share my inspirations, new work announcements and whatever else I find interesting. To view my artwork or read any of my performance reviews please see the link to my homepage in the sidebar. Offended by occasional male nudity or awesome homoerotic art content? This is not the place for you.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Gladys Kuchta...where DID you get that hat?



The career of American soprano Gladys Kuchta probably would have been a lot more sensational had it not been for one thing, Birgit Nilsson.  Blessed with a voice uncannily like that of La Nilsson, Gladys Kuchta also  shared much of the same repertoire, notably the Wagner heroines, Aida, Elektra and as here, Turandot.  As a result she was overshadowed by her more famous rival.

Listen to the audio below of In Questa Reggia and you will hear what I mean.  There are also some very good biographical details in there to give you a little more information on this greatly underrated singer.

Fortunately there a quite a few live recordings still available and highlights from a filmed version of R.Strauss' Elektra with Regina Resnick uploaded to youtube (which unfortunately I am no longer able to find).  Check them out if you can.

Happy birthday Gladys Kuchta, I need that hat.


           


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...