Where I share my inspirations, new work announcements and whatever else I find interesting. To view my artwork or read any of my performance reviews please see the link to my homepage in the sidebar. Offended by occasional male nudity or awesome homoerotic art content? This is not the place for you.

Friday, July 11, 2014

Die Zauberflote



In preparation for tomorrow's general dress rehearsal of the WA Opera's practically perennial revival of Mozart's Magic Flute, I was looking for a recording I haven't heard in order to hopefully rediscover something fresh in the work myself.


I found it in this unconventional recording by Rene Jacobs.  This is a truly original and highly entertaining interpretation, the theatrics superb with a cast to match any other in talent and characterisation. 

As you would expect from such an Early Music ensemble the reading is crisp and vibrant, though here we have a fortepiano instead of harpsichord in the continuo, adding to the originality overall.

It was actually very difficult to chose a particular highlight as even some of the conversational parts are of such originality as to deserve a mention.

Take the Three Ladies for example, without doubt the best on disc.  Do yourself a favour and listen to the track below, it's the beginning of the opera where the daft prince faints upon seeing a serpent and is saved by the Three Ladies.  Enjoy and have a brilliant weekend.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...