Where I share my inspirations, new work announcements and whatever else I find interesting. To view my artwork or read any of my performance reviews please see the link to my homepage in the sidebar. Offended by occasional male nudity or awesome homoerotic art content? This is not the place for you.

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Great Anna Bolenas, part one - Elena Suliotis


One of the most rewarding parts of working on an opera, as in any artform is the research involved in getting your ideas into a coherent concept.  For opera specifically this involves a lot of listening. 

Fortunately there are a  number of recordings available that I can draw inspiration from.  Recently I discovered a copy of the Silvio Varviso/Decca recording with Elena Suliotis in the title role. The cast alone makes you want to hear it and trust me it's truly worth a listen.

Marilyn Horne is Seymour and Nicolai Ghiaurov is a gorgeously dark velvety suave Henry VIII, John Alexander a thrilling, heroic Percy.  Below is the finale scene, it's worth a listen for the hairstyle alone.  Enjoyble listening for a Sunday evening. Have a great week.


                                                 

#OperaBox #FringeWorldFestival #FringeWorld  #AnnaBolena

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...