Where I share my inspirations, new work announcements and whatever else I find interesting. To view my artwork or read any of my performance reviews please see the link to my homepage in the sidebar. Offended by occasional male nudity or awesome homoerotic art content? This is not the place for you.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Visconti, Callas and Traviata


Today I was reminded that the famous La Scala production of La Traviata produced by Luchino Visconti starring Maria Callas premiered exactly 60 years ago this evening.  When I was in my early teens I purchased a 'pirate' recording of the highlights from the performance on a dodgy record label from Italy (International Joker) in appalling sound.  I still have it in my collection and this recording, while I obviously no longer listen to the old LP thanks to digital remastering etc, was to me the performance against all others would be judged.

Callas' commitment to character remains unparalleled - how many other Violettas have you heard that bring the house down after her Act 2 exit from her duet with Alfredo?

Initially I was to post the traditional offering of Sempre Libera or Addio del Passato but thought this passage completely fitting as a tribute to this remarkable meeting of Creative Talent that will be remembered for a long time to come.



#CallasForever #MariaCallas #Opera #LaScala #Traviata #OnThisDay

www.blairparkinson.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...