Where I share my inspirations, new work announcements and whatever else I find interesting. To view my artwork or read any of my performance reviews please see the link to my homepage in the sidebar. Offended by occasional male nudity or awesome homoerotic art content? This is not the place for you.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Essential sounds for a spring Saturday


Early in my opera loving teens I discovered that a cheap way to satisfy my ever growing need to enhance my LP collection was to frequent second hand record stores and thrift stores.  I was amazed at what I could find and afford, even on the pocket money I was given back then.

One of my most treasured finds would have to be the Decca Phase4 Stereo Concert LP - Marilyn Horne sings Carmen, now delightfully reissued as part of the 41CD set: PHASE 4 STEREO CONCERT SERIES in September 2014.

Of course there have been many more subtle, sensual interpretations, even from the Diva herself but what I love here is the overly ripe quality of Marilyn Horne's cigarette smoking heroine, matched by the sunny quality of the bright, deliciously hi-fi Decca recording of the day.

She is indulged to the nth degree by her colleagues and husband, conductor Henry Lewis but it does make for fun, luscious listening.  Have a great weekend.

             

#Diva #MarilynHorne #Opera #Earworm #GeatWeekend #GayWeekend #Bizet #Carmen

blairparkinson.com


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...