Where I share my inspirations, new work announcements and whatever else I find interesting. To view my artwork or read any of my performance reviews please see the link to my homepage in the sidebar. Offended by occasional male nudity or awesome homoerotic art content? This is not the place for you.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Turandot on Sydney Harbour - the Movie


Courtesy of West Australian Opera I had the privilege of seeing this year's Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour, Puccini's final masterpiece, Turandot, which screened at the Grand Cinema, Warwick.

Nornally I am rather hesitant to view these huge outdoor extravaganzas as they often substitute quality for spectacle, but this year I was in for a treat.  Although slightly cut as expected, the opera was thrillingly performed by soloists and orchestra alike, led by the ever brilliant Brian Castles-Onion.


There really was no weak link in the casts which was filmed but the standouts for me were Hyeseoung Kwon as the lovelorn slave-girl Liu and Riccardo Massi as a very credible Unknown Prince.

Below is the official trailer to whet your whistle on a Wednesday.  Personally I am counting the days to a DVD release, which surely must be on the cards given the success of the previous releases from seasons gone by.




www.blairparkinson.com

#HandaOpera #HOSHTurandot #Turandot #Puccini #OperaAustralia #Opera #GrandCinemas #HyeseoungKwon #RiccardoMassi #WestAustralianOpera


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...